Is there a local cheese maker or veggie grower that you would call your favourite? How about a local florist or local chef?
If so, then the We Heart Local Awards may be exactly the contest you were looking for. The awards are in the second year and put on by the BC Agriculture Council and We Heart Local. Last year there were no entries from Cranbrook, so hopefully that will change this year. Nominations are open from now until Sept. 1. Then voting is Sept. 2 – 16.
The awards invite people across B.C. to nominate their choices in the following 15 categories:
• Favourite Farmers’ Market
• Favourite Store to Buy Local
• Favourite Local Meat or Poultry Supplier
• Favourite Local Seafood Supplier
• Favourite Local Cheese Maker
• Favourite Local Sweet Treat
• Favourite Local Advocate
• Favourite Local Winery
• Favorite Local Brewery
• Favorite Local Food Truck
• Favourite Local U-Pick Farm
• Favorite Local Orchard/Fruit Supplier
• Favourite Local Restaurant or Chef
• Favourite Local Florist or Nursery
• Favourite Local Greenhouse or Veggie Grower
“The We Heart Local Awards is a celebration of the interest and love British Columbians have for great-tasting local foods, and the incredible amount of options from land and sea that we have to choose from,” said Norm Letnick, B.C. Agriculture minister. “I encourage all British Columbians to support B.C. producers by voting in the We Heart Local Awards, and by purchasing and enjoying local products year round.”
Anyone living in B.C. can nominate and vote on their favourites in the categories listed above by visiting www.weheartlocalawards.ca.
The We Heart Local Awards is a partnership between the BC Agriculture Council, the BC Ministry of Agriculture, Global TV, Taku Resort & Marina, The BC Association of Farmers’ Markets, The BC Dairy Association, LOCO BC, the BC Restaurants and Foodservices Association and Edible Vancouver.