Natasha Hall returns for Brahms concerto

The storied Symphony of the Kootenays opens its 2015/16 season — and marks its 40th anniversary — with a brace of concerts this weekend

Natasha Hall

Natasha Hall

Barry Coulter

The storied Symphony of the Kootenays opens its 2015/16 season — and marks its 40th anniversary — with a brace of concerts this weekend in Nelson and Cranbrook.

The Symphony, under the direction of Music and Artistic Director Jeff Faragher, will be presenting works by Malcolm Forsyth, Mozart, and Johannes Brahms.

And the Brahms piece will feature a special guest — Natasha Hall — returning to her hometown of Nelson and the East Kootenay as violin soloist.

Hall is currently living in London, England, and playing with the English Chamber Orchestra.

“It’s probably one of the world’s most famous Chamber orchestras — I think it’s the world’s most recorded Chamber orchestras,” Hall told the Townsman in an interview this week. “They’ve made some of the great recordings, for sure. They play a wide range of music — mostly classical, a lot of Mozart, Hayden, some Beethoven. We also play some bigger repertoire.

“It’s also one of the world’s most travelled orchestras, so we get to play all over the world.”

Hall come home specifically for the Symphony of the Kootenays concerts this weekend — Saturday in her hometown of Nelson and Sunday at the Key City Theatre in Cranbrook — as guest soloist during the performance of  Brahms’  the Violin Concerto in D Major (opus 77).

“It’s one of my favourite concertos, I think,” Hall said. “It’s very unique, because it’s almost like a symphony with violin embellishment — as opposed to a more typical concerto, where there’s a violin line, and an orchestra’s accompanying.

“Sometimes I don’t even get the tune — in the second movement for example, the oboe opens it. It’s glorious. I only get a variation of it. It’s actually a big part for the oboe.”

Hall has played with Symphony of the Kootenays as a teenager — but this will be her first appearance as soloist.

“It’s really exciting,” she said. “This place is so beautiful, so to get to play some of my favourite music in such an incredible place is really special. The people here are so positive and everyone’s really excited about it.”

The Symphony will also be performing Jubilee Overture by Canadian composer Malcolm Forsyth, and the Jupiter Symphony by Mozart (Symphony 41 in C Major).

The Nelson concert is Saturday, Oct. 17, at 8 p.m. At the Capitol Theatre. The Sunday, Oct. 18, concert is 3 p.m. At the Key City Theatre at 3 p.m.

Just Posted

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Over 5K jabbed at Interior Health mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics

The clinics have made stops in more than 40 communities since launching last week

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Interior Health COVID-19 cases falling slower than the rest of B.C.

More than a third of provincial cases announced Thursday came from the Interior

Students at Creston Valley Secondary School put together an art installation of a replica residential school room. (Photo by Kelsey Yates)
Creston students create art installation of residential school room

The replica was decorated with a small bed, school uniform, and notes written with pleas for help

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Second dose vaccinations accelerating throughout region: Interior Health

To date, more than 675,000 doses have been administered throughout the region

1914
It happened this week in 1914

June 13 - 19: Compiled by Dave Humphrey from the archived newspapers… Continue reading

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read