Flip, flop and flume

Kimberley Council has changed its collective mind, and the flume project is going ahead

Carolyn Grant

Well, that was interesting. And those, dear readers, are not words you would expect to hear me say after a city council meeting.

But after Monday night’s meeting of Kimberley City Council, I was surprised — one might even go so far as to say gob-smacked — by the news that the collective mind of council had been changed and the flume project was going ahead this summer. In fact, construction will begin in less than 10 days.

First, some background for those who may not have been following this project from day one. The concrete flood protection flume, a utilitarian, most unattractive channel which carries Mark Creek through downtown Kimberley, is failing, has failed, has potential to fail….. That was established back in 2010 when the late Jim Ogilvie was Mayor.

That it had to be rehabbed or replaced was agreed upon. It was a safety issue. Grants were pursued but difficult to find. It was during the administration of Ron McRae that the work began. While the city had tax payer approval to borrow up to $4.25 million for the project, it was always understood that grants would help pay for it. However, the first phase was completed in 2012, over-budget and without any money from upper levels of government. There is no doubt that the perceived mishandling of Phase 1 of the flume rehab had an effect on the 2014 municipal election.

However, the first phase was done, and financing and management aside, it was a hit. The widened river created a swimming hole right downtown, and was quickly dubbed Lake McRae. With the addition of the timber-frame bridge, it has become an idyllic spot on a hot summer day.

But on to phase 2. The grant money finally arrived, though it was not retroactive and the city was on the hook for the full cost of phase 1. New Mayor Don McCormick, who was a councillor during phase 1 construction, vowed that, grant money or not, if the project could not be brought in on budget, it would not proceed.

Two weeks ago, Council voted six to one (Councillor Bev Middlebrook the dissenting vote) to defer the project until such time as there was sufficient grant money and a budget that could be met. The grants could be returned and re-applied for, was the thought.

But now, two weeks later, that decision is reversed and Council has voted to proceed with the flume this year. The contractor had come up with savings and it could meet budget.

That was the difference, the Mayor said. There were still risks but the project had to be done and it wasn’t going to get any cheaper down the road.

Mayor McCormick said when asked about the grants that the City had not received a “definitive decision” from upper levels of government on what would happen if the grant money was returned. Probably because the government, like myself, was gob-smacked at the idea of a municipality returning a grant.

But I’m just going to spit ball here and say that I doubt the good folks at the Building Canada Fund were too keen on taking the money back with the promise that they would be happy to lend the same amount, or even more, when it was more convenient for the city. Not to mention the fact that with a federal election looming in the fall, there is no guarantee the same government will be overseeing said funds.

In any event, here we are. The flume rehab is going ahead, and I’m going to put it out there that I think it’s the right decision. Aesthetics aside, it is a safety issue. For those who scoff at the notion of building it to a 200 year flood event standard, just remember people canoeing through downtown Calgary two years ago. It can happen. It did happen.

For Mayor and Council, it’s not an easy thing to walk back a decision taken so firmly, so recently. They will get flack over it, and maybe rightly so. But I appreciate the fact that there was a willingness to change course. I appreciate the fact that there does not appear to be a lot of ego involved, or if there is, it was pretty well hidden.

So we’re going ahead. Perhaps if phase 2 involves another widening of the channel for a pool we can call it Lake McCormick. We’ll see which one is deeper in the end.

Carolyn Grant is the Editor of the Kimberley Daily Bulletin

Just Posted

The City of Cranbrook and the Ktunaxa Nation raised the flag of the Ktunaxa Nation at the arches entrance into the city’s downtown core during a ceremony on Monday, June 21. Photo courtesy City of Cranbrook.
Ktunaxa Nation flag raised at downtown arches entrance

The Ktunaxa Nation flag was raised at the Cranbrook arches — the… Continue reading

Kimberley Search and Rescue were able to quickly respond to a call for service and transport an injured mountain biker to East Kootenay Regional Hospital over the weekend. Kimberley SAR file photo.
Kimberley Search and Rescue respond to injured mountain biker on Bootleg Mountain

Kimberley Search and Rescue responded to a call for service this past… Continue reading

FILE – Perry Bellegarde, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, takes part in an event on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, July 7, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Indigenous Peoples Day must be a ‘call to action’, says Assembly of First Nations chief

Discovery of children at Kamloops residential school site must lead to change, Perry Bellegarde says

City of Cranbrook, Ktunaxa Nation to host flag ceremony on National Indigenous Peoples Day. (Corey Bullock file)
City of Cranbrook, Ktunaxa Nation hosting flag ceremony on National Indigenous Peoples Day

A temporary road closure and speed limit reduction will be in effect during the ceremony

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Over 5K jabbed at Interior Health mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics

The clinics have made stops in more than 40 communities since launching last week

Pictured is Mrs. O and her grade 4/5 class at St. Mary’s Catholic School in Cranbrook. Mrs. O challenged her class to read 36,000 pages in May and they far surpassed that goal. The students were then allowed to choose her fate. (Corey Bullock/Cranbrook Townsman file)
WATCH: St. Mary’s Catholic School grade 4/5 class wins reading challenge

Teacher lets students choose fate after reading over 47,000 pages in one month

Fans watch the warm-up before Game 6 between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens in NHL playoff hockey action Saturday, May 29, 2021 in Montreal. Quebec’s easing of COVID-19 restrictions will allow 2,500 fans to attend the game for the first time in fourteen months. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Two-thirds of Canadians say governments shouldn’t lift all COVID-19 restrictions

Poll reports Canadians who gained pandemic weight say they have gained 16 pounds on average

Paul Bernardo is shown in this courtroom sketch during Ontario court proceedings via video link in Napanee, Ont., on October 5, 2018. Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo is set for a parole hearing today. The designated dangerous offender, has been eligible for full parole for more than three years. Bernardo’s horrific crimes in the 1980s and early 1990s include for kidnapping, torturing and killing Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy near St. Catharines, Ont. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Greg Banning
Killer rapist Paul Bernardo faces parole hearing today; victim families opposed

Designated dangerous offender has been eligible for full parole for more than three years.

People look over the damage after a tornado touched down in Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal, Monday, June 21, 2021. Dozens of homes were damaged and one death has been confirmed. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
One dead and extensive damage as tornado hits Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal

Damage reported in several parts of the city, and emergency teams dispatched to sectors hardest hit

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

Most Read