The bear down by the creek: Part II

Injured after an encounter with a grizzly sow and cubs, Susan and Peter talk about how they made it to safety

  • Feb. 7, 2013 8:00 a.m.
Top: Mather Creek

Top: Mather Creek

Part II of an interview with Susan Bond and Peter Moody.


After encountering a grizzly sow with her two cubs beside Mather Creek not far from their LD Ranch Road home, Susan and Peter were left injured and lying on the ground, about eight feet apart. It was late afternoon, Sunday, November 25, 2012.

Susan was conscious, though hurt badly, and thinking about how they would both get away from the attack site and find help. “Peter looked at me and said, ‘are you okay?’ I said, ‘yeah’. Then we both stood up. How we did that, I don’t know.”

Peter says that while he had seen the cubs when the sow went after Susan, neither of them had known about the deer carcass nearby. It was a four-point whitetail buck that the sow had taken down and the bear family had been feeding on. The trio didn’t move far from their kill after the attack.

“I didn’t know about that until much later,” Susan said. “At the time I was just scared and wanted to get away.

“To the left was a steep bank. I thought that was probably where the bears had gone, and I couldn’t have managed to get up that way anyway,” Susan said. “But we knew that if we crossed the creek, we’d be in a big field that would take us back to LD Ranch Road. I managed to say ‘creek’, pointed to it and started walking.”

“So we waded across the creek,” Peter said. “Susan’s leg was really badly hurt — it’s amazing she eventually walked as far as she did. She wouldn’t have been able to do it without the ski poles.”

“At one point, Peter fell forward into the water,” Susan said. “I heard him fall, but I didn’t even turn around. I knew I couldn’t help. I knew if I stopped I wouldn’t be able to keep going. Fortunately, he got up.”

“The issue once we got across the creek was the height of the grass and the uneven ground,” Peter said. “It wasn’t so bad for me, but for Susan, the grass was up to her hips in places and it was very difficult to walk.”

“I fell once coming into the open field,” Susan said. “I did manage to get up again though it felt like my knee was coming apart. The CO said later he knew exactly where I fell. I guess there was a lot of blood there.

“The other big obstacles were two barbed wire fences. Peter managed to open the strands enough so I could walk through. There was no way I could bend down. If he hadn’t done that, I’d still be there.”

“I could go faster than Susan,” Peter said. “My legs weren’t as badly hurt. I thought if I went ahead that would speed up getting help for Susan, but I realized she wouldn’t be able to handle the fences. She was going into shock. If she sat down, it would get worse. So we stayed together. After we got through the second fence, I went as fast as I could.”

By now Peter was near the greenhouses on LD Ranch Road.

“It was a Sunday and I didn’t think anyone would be around,” Peter said. “But I went close to the greenhouses, calling for help. I took the occasional fall. There was one more fence along LD Ranch Road. I went over it and up onto the road. On the other side of the road is a cabin and a fellow comes out. He has a can of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. He was doing what many Canadians were doing that day — watching the Grey Cup. But he’d had a pair of binoculars and he happened to see me. He couldn’t have seen Susan from there.

“When we met I’m not sure who said what. There was a lot of blood on my face and head from the scalp wounds. He realized something bad had happened. I said, ‘Susan … out there’. Another guy came out of the house. He ran and got into a truck and drove out into the field to pick up Susan.”

“When Peter went ahead, I was making my way quite slowly. When I got to the point where the field turns to the east, I knew there was still a ways to go,” Susan said. “I didn’t know how much further I could go. I stopped to rest and heard the truck. The sound faded and then I heard it again. I thought, someone’s coming for me. I knew Peter had reached help. It gave me a spurt of energy.

“Randy Harvey was the man in the pickup. He was going to lift me into it and I said no — I knew it would have been too painful for my leg. I managed to get into the truck. Then I started to get cold. I was really shaking and out of it.”

Their rescuers – Randy, his wife Bonnie and their friend Alan Hunter – got Peter and Susan into the house and called 911.

“They put blankets around us and  talked to us to keep us conscious,” Peter said. “I asked them to call our neighbours, Walter and Carol Latter, so they could alert the rest of the neighbourhood that there were grizzlies around.”

“Bonnie got me into a big comfy chair,” Susan said. “She talked to me and held my hand. It was so comforting. I was really chilled so the guys pulled my wet boots and socks off.

“Then the ambulance arrived and before long we were in the Cranbrook hospital ER.”

At the hospital, they were quickly assessed, given tetanus shots, and had their wounds irrigated to help prevent infection.

“I’ve learned that it’s really important after an attack like ours to irrigate the wounds to get rid of bacteria from the animal’s mouth and claws,” Susan said.

She says her sister Mary Ellen and brother Kevin were at the hospital — she remembers hearing their voices and being so glad they were there — and the Latters arrived as well.

“I remember a male voice asking if I remembered what happened,” Susan said. “It might have been an RCMP officer, I don’t know, but I recounted the whole episode as best as I could, from the time we left our house.”

They were soon on their way to Calgary and the Foothills Medical Centre via medivac.

“We were in surgery overnight,” Susan said. “The next morning they put us together in a two-bed room in Unit 31, the plastic surgery ward.”

Meanwhile, back at LD Ranch Road, East Kootenay Conservation Officers were launching what would become a week-long field investigation into the attack.An initial party of two officers scouted the general vicinity a couple of hours after the attack but, with light failing, were unable to pinpoint the exact location. The next morning a party of four officers found the site.

In tomorrow’s Townsman, Susan and Peter talk about their recovery and what they have learned about what happened that day.

Just Posted

Kootenay-Columbia MP Rob Morrison. Photo courtesy Conservative Party of Canada.
MP Morrison appointed to parliamentary national security committee

Kootenay-Columbia parliamentarian one of five candidates appointed to national security committee

Repaving of Victoria Ave (3rd St. S. to 11th St. S.) began on Monday, June 12. Drivers are asked to please avoid the area for the remainder of the day, if possible. Please watch for and obey directions from flaggers and signage, as the detours will be moving regularly. Photo courtesy City of Cranbrook.
Road construction, repaving programs well underway

Local road construction and repaving work continue apace, as summer programs get… Continue reading

Vendors and customers at one of the Cranbrook markets in 2020. (Corey Bullock/Cranbrook Townsman file)
Cranbrook Farmers Market updates operating hours for the summer

Markets will continue to run from 10a.m. to 1p.m. until October 30th

City council passed first reading of a text amendment to a downtown zoning bylaw that would permit the land use for a craft brewery. Photo courtesy City of Cranbrook.
Downtown zoning amendment allowing craft brewery passes first reading

An application is moving forward that will tweak a downtown zoning bylaw… Continue reading

City council deferred moving forward on a proposed development in Wildstone, requesting a meeting with the developer to get clarification on project details. Photo submitted.
Cranbrook city council debates proposed Wildstone development

Cranbrook city council held off on moving forward with a proposed apartment… Continue reading

Maxwell Johnson is seen in Bella Bella, B.C., in an undated photo. The Indigenous man from British Columbia has filed complaints with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal and the Canadian Human Rights Commission after he and his granddaughter were handcuffed when they tried to open a bank account. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Heiltsuk Nation, Damien Gillis, *MANDATORY CREDIT*
VIDEO: Chiefs join human rights case of Indigenous man handcuffed by police in B.C. bank

Maxwell Johnson said he wants change, not just words, from Vancouver police

An inmate in solitary confinement given lunch on Tuesday, May 10, 2016. THE CANADIAN/Lars Hagberg
22-hour cap on solitary confinement for youth in custody still too long: B.C. lawyer

Jennifer Metcalfe was horrified to hear a youth had spent a total of 78 straight days in isolation

Old growth in the Columbia Valley, in the Kinbasket area. (Photo submitted)
Wildsight: Old-growth forests are being logged in Golden

Wildsight says that Canfor has been logging old growth at the Blaeberry headwaters

at the library
What’s on at the Cranbrook Public Library

By Mike Selby The Library is now open with extended hours (with… Continue reading

People line up to get their COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination centre, Thursday, June 10, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Vaccines, low COVID case counts increase Father’s Day hope, but risk is still there

Expert says people will have to do their own risk calculus before popping in on Papa

B.C. Premier John Horgan listens as Finance Minister Selina Robinson presents the province’s latest budget, April 20, 2021. The budget projects $19 billion in deficits over three years. (Hansard TV)
B.C. government budget balloons, beyond COVID-19 response

Provincial payroll up 104,000 positions, $10 billion since 2017

Ocean debris is shown on Long Beach in Tofino, B.C. on April, 18, 2012. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Shoreline cleanup finds COVID-related trash increased during height of the pandemic

Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup reports litter from single-use food packaging nearly doubled

Doctor David Vallejo and his fiancee Doctor Mavelin Bonilla hold photos of themselves working, as they kiss at their home in Quito, Ecuador, Wednesday, June 9, 2021. Doctor Vallejo and Doctor Bonilla suspended their wedding in order to tend to COVID-19 patients and in the process Vallejo got sick himself with the disease, ending up in an ICU for several days. (AP Photo/Dolores Ochoa)
Love, sacrifice and surviving COVID-19: one couple’s story

COVID hits Ecuadorian doctors who delayed wedding to treat sick

St. Joseph's Mission site is located about six kilometres from Williams Lake First Nation. (Photo submitted)
Williams Lake First Nation to search residential school site for unmarked graves

St. Joseph’s Mission Indian Residential School operated from 1886 to 1981

Most Read