Cranbrook RCMP is reporting that a suspicious substance found in the Community Forest which was believed to be responsible for the death of three dogs last fall is not poison.
Samples of the substance sent off to labs with the BC Ministry of Agriculture and Michigan State University came back negative for any poisons, according to S/Sgt. Hector Lee.
However, he still warned dog owners to be cautious.
“Although there was no poison detected in the samples, veterinarians state that some poisons are hard to detect in toxicology from animals,” Lee said in a press release.
The suspected poisonings occurred in the fall last year as a local couple’s dog passed away hours after eating a white fatty substance that had been half buried in the ground just into the trail network of the southeastern parking lot on Baker Mountain Rd.
According to the couple, who told the Townsman what they went through, the dog ate the substance in the morning; by nightfall, he had passed away after experiencing symptoms such as elevated body temperature and seizures.
Other canine deaths were also reported and signage was placed up at the trail head warning about the substance.
RCMP began a lengthly investigation into the allegations of poisoning, as Police Dog Services and General Investigation Section attended the area to locate evidence and look for witnesses.
Police also liaised with local veterinarians and seized exhibits to be sent off to specific Canadian and American labs that deal with poisonings.
Cranbrook RCMP are still requesting that anyone with any information regarding these incidents to contact the Cranbrook RCMP at 250-489-3471 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) and to continue being vigilant by keeping an eye on your pets and young children while walking your pets in the Community Forest.