It’s tax time

It’s tax time

Frequently asked questions

Carolyn Grant

Every year around tax time, Canadians call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to ask a variety of questions.

You can find most answers online, and even more if you are registered for the CRA’s online services.

Here are some of the most asked questions:

1. Do I need to do my taxes?

Doing your taxes may put money in your pocket. You need to do your taxes if you want to receive, or continue to receive, certain benefit and credit payments you may be eligible for such as the Canada child benefit, the GST/HST credit, the guaranteed income supplement and many more.

You also have to do your taxes if, for example, you owe taxes, have a balance owing under the Home Buyers’ Plan or the Lifelong Learning Plan, or sold your principal residence in 2017. Find out more at Do you have to file a return?

2. What do I need to do my taxes?

The Doing your taxes page on gives you all the information you need to get started.

3. Where can I get help with my income tax and benefit return?

If you need help doing your taxes and you have modest income and a simple tax situation, local community organizations and their volunteers host free tax preparation clinics through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program. Volunteers can do your taxes for you. There are tax clinics from February to the end of April every year, and some of them are open year-round. To find one near you, use the MyCRA mobile web app or visit for a list of clinics by province.

4. How do I notify CRA of a change in my address?

If you’re registered for the CRA’s online services, you can change your address by going to My Account, by using the MyCRA and MyBenefits CRA mobile web apps, or by calling the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. You can also fill out Form RC325, Address change request and send it to your tax centre.

5. How do I notify CRA of a change in my marital status?

You can change your marital status online by selecting “Change my marital status” in My Account, by selecting “Marital status” in the MyCRA mobile web app, or by selecting “Update marital status” in the MyBenefits CRA mobile web app. You can also contact the CRA by phone or fill out Form RC65, Marital Status Change and send it to your tax centre.

6. How do I know how much I owe or where my refund is?

Find the amount of your balance owing or your refund by logging into My Account or the MyCRA mobile web app. If you are getting a refund, the details will include the refund method (direct deposit or mailed cheque), the date it was sent, and the amount. You can also call the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999 to ask about your refund. TIPS is available from mid-February to December 2018.

7. How can I get a copy of my notice of assessment or reassessment?

If you do your taxes online using certain NETFILE-certified software products, you can receive an express notice of assessment (NOA) in the software shortly after you submit your return. If someone else is doing your taxes for you, they can request an Express NOA on your behalf.

You can also get a copy in My Account. You will be able to view and print detailed information of an assessment or reassessment of your income tax and benefit return for the current year and the 10 previous years. To view a summary of your assessments on the go, use the MyCRA mobile web app. To get your notices online, sign up for online mail.

Sign up for online mail and the CRA will send you an email letting you know when you have new mail to view in My Account, like your notice of assessment.

8. Where is my benefit or credit payment?

Find the amount and date of your benefit and credit payments by logging into My Account or the MyBenefits CRA mobile web app. Make sure you do your taxes on time and keep your personal information up to date to continue to receive your payments without interruption.

Just Posted

The Kootenay International Junior Hockey League met for their AGM and announced a number of new initiatives, new awards and changes in their executive committee, as well as the starting date for the 2021-22 season. Paul Rodgers file.
KIJHL announces start dates for 2021-22 season

Season set to begin Oct. 1 with league still following all health guidelines

Calvin Dickson photo.
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for East Kootenay

Conditions favourable for the development of thunderstorms, hail and heavy rain

The Independent Investigations Office of BC is looking into a Castlegar incident. File photo
Police watchdog investigating Castlegar incident

IIO: Woman sustained a reportedly self-inflicted injury

Mount Baker Secondary School in Cranbrook.
Graduation ceremony in the works for MBSS Class of 2021

The Mount Bake Secondary School Class of 2021 will have a graduation… Continue reading

After being forced to cancel in 2020 due to the pandemic, the Wasa Triathlon is being organized for August. Bulletin file photo.
Information released for Gerick Sports Wasa Triathlon scheduled for August

In 2020 the COVID pandemic forced the Gerick Sports Wasa Triathlon to… Continue reading

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau participates in a plenary session at the G7 Summit in Carbis Bay, England on Friday June 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada donating 13M surplus COVID-19 vaccine doses to poor countries

Trudeau says the government will pay for 87 million shots to be distributed to poor countries

Kelowna-Lake Country MLA Norm Letnick, assistant deputy speaker at the B.C. legislature, presides over committee discussions. The legislature is completing its delayed spring session this week, with most MLAs participating by video conference. (Hansard TV)
B.C.’s daily COVID-19 infections dip below 100 over weekend

Only 68 new cases recorded Monday, four additional deaths

B.C. ambulance station in Revelstoke is expected to get a new system called the Scheduled On-Call (SOC) this fall. (Liam Harrap - Revelstoke Review)
B.C. ambulance changes could put Revelstoke residents at risk, warn local paramedics

Paramedics said to expect a substantial increase in ambulance response time starting this fall

The BC Ferries website went down for a short while Monday morning following a provincial announcement that recreational travel between health authorities can resume Tuesday. (Black Press Media file photo)
BC Ferries’ website crashes in wake of provincial reopening announcement

Website back up now, recreational travel between health regions to resume as of Tuesday

The Kamloops Indian Residential School is photographed using a drone in Kamloops, B.C., Monday, June, 14, 2021. The remains of 215 children were discovered buried near the former school earlier this month. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Communities grapple with what to do with former residential and day schools

Some tear them down as a tool to help healing, others repurpose them as tools for moving forward

FILE – Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
B.C. watching U.K.’s COVID struggles but don’t think province will see similar pitfalls

Studies show that one dose of vaccine is only 33 per cent effective in preventing B.1.617.2 spread

RCMP Const. Shelby Patton is shown in this undated handout photo. RCMP say that Patton was hit by an allegedly stolen truck that he had pulled over on Saturday morning in Wolseley, east of Regina. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, RCMP
Pair charged in Saskatchewan Mountie’s death make first court appearance

Const. Shelby Patton was hit by an allegedly stolen truck that he had pulled over Saturday morning

David and Collet Stephan leave for a break during an appeal hearing in Calgary on Thursday, March 9, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Appeal Court rejects stay for Alberta couple facing third trial in son’s death

Pair accused in their earlier trials of not seeking medical attention for their son sooner

The auto and the bike: A paean to them both

One becomes an extension of one’s self. The other offers the sensation of flight.

Most Read