The original proposal for a $16.6 million

The original proposal for a $16.6 million

Homeless shelter funding request denied

Plans for a new homeless shelter in Cranbrook are being scaled back after the Province says there’s no funding

  • Jan. 22, 2014 4:00 p.m.

The proposal for a new Cranbrook homeless shelter will be scaled back after the B.C. government said there is no funding available at this time.

In a letter to Cranbrook Mayor Wayne Stetski on Nov. 27, Rich Coleman, Minister Responsible for Housing, wrote: “The Province does not currently have a funding program available to support the proposed shelter. We have an obligation to work within budgetary constraints and for this reason, unable to provide funding for the project at this time.”

The Salvation Army and the Cranbrook and District Community Foundation submitted a proposal for a $16.6 million homeless shelter to B.C. Housing in fall 2011. The proposed facility would include 15 overnight beds for men and 15 for women; 16 second-floor units for stays up to two years; 16 third-floor units for stays longer than two years; and four family units with three bedrooms in each.

Besides housing, the facility will have a commercial kitchen and cafeteria, and space for amenities such as hair cuts, access to computers and counselling.

The shelter would be built on land donated by the Salvation Army in Slaterville. The City of Cranbrook is waiving development cost charges. The Regional District of East Kootenay has agreed to provide $250,000 to the cause. But it all hinges on B.C. government funding.

The news that funding is not forthcoming was not a surprise for the project’s lead drivers, Captain Kirk Green of the Salvation Army, and Neil Cook, chair of the Community Foundation. Kootenay East MLA Bill Bennett warned the pair that the Minister is concerned by the cost of the project.

Bennett suggested a meeting with B.C. Housing to scale down the project.

“It seems to be the minister’s main concern is the cost per square foot, so we are trying to reduce that cost per square foot of the building,” said Cook.

“We are looking at going back to the two-storey building we initially put forward.”

Doing that would take out the extended stay units and family units, but keep the overnight shelter beds, and units for stays of up to two years. The proposal may also be altered to remove the requirement that the facility be built to LEED Gold standards.

Ironically, it was B.C. Housing, an agency of the Ministry of Housing, that initially suggested the homeless shelter be expanded to include a third storey with extended stay units.

“It has caused a bit of heartburn over the last year and a half,” said Cook.

“They are the ones who wanted us to add it,” added Green. “So we are going to discuss with them: what do you want us to do?

“We are going to have some open and very frank discussions with them, as we have had all along. They have been very good.

“We want this project to go, Bill wants this project to go, the homeless people need this project to go, we’ve lived through five winters since then, so let’s do what we’ve got to do to make this work.”

MLA Bennett, Minister of Energy and Mines and Minister Responsible for the Core Review, said that Coleman’s letter is not a final answer.

“It was a statement of our capacity to fund capital at the time,” said Bennett.

He remains committed to seeing the facility come to fruition.

“I did meet recently with Captain Kirk and Neil and I reiterated my support for the project as my number-one priority for Cranbrook.

“I will keep working on finding funds for this. We are in a very challenging time for money. Our government is committed to balancing the budget and so very few capital projects are being approved.”

The homeless shelter project was born in January 2009, and went through two years of planning and community consultation before the project was submitted for approval.

“We understand that this project has been five years in development, and the economy has gone through a major reset in North America. The reality is that B.C. Housing is now looking at ways to try and serve the need in Cranbrook, but at the same time not break the bank,” said Cook.

Donations for the shelter project continue to roll in from the East Kootenay community to the community foundation and Salvation Army. Green said that over the holidays alone, $10,000 was donated to the facility through the Salvation Army.

Green said he remains confident that the homeless facility will eventually be approved.

“We are assured that at some point this project is going to go ahead. We are very thankful for the support that (B.C. Housing is) giving us, and especially our local MLA, who is very much behind the project and is trying everything he can.”

“Stick with us. We are going to get this thing built,” added Cook.

Just Posted

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Over 5K jabbed at Interior Health mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics

The clinics have made stops in more than 40 communities since launching last week

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Interior Health COVID-19 cases falling slower than the rest of B.C.

More than a third of provincial cases announced Thursday came from the Interior

Students at Creston Valley Secondary School put together an art installation of a replica residential school room. (Photo by Kelsey Yates)
Creston students create art installation of residential school room

The replica was decorated with a small bed, school uniform, and notes written with pleas for help

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Second dose vaccinations accelerating throughout region: Interior Health

To date, more than 675,000 doses have been administered throughout the region

1914
It happened this week in 1914

June 13 - 19: Compiled by Dave Humphrey from the archived newspapers… Continue reading

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read