A view of FozzyFest 2013.

A view of FozzyFest 2013.

Fozzyfest wants back in

Three-day music festival seeks permission to run again at Koocanusa

The organizers of a three-day music festival held last summer at Koocanusa are seeking permission to hold the festival again this Canada Day weekend.

Darryl Stanat and Shawn Lafleur, directors of FozzyFest, presented their plans to the Regional District of East Kootenay board of directors on Friday, March 7.

The pair gave a history of the festival, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary this year, and talked about how they found the Big Springs campground on Koocanusa last year as a new site for the festival.

Because it expects to have 1,000 attendees, FozzyFest requires a special event license from the regional district to proceed, even though it will be held at the campground owned and operated by the Tobacco Plains Band.

The three-day outdoor camping festival will have three stages set up throughout the campground, two in the heart of the campsite and one on the beach. Music plays from noon until 6 a.m. each day, but the beach stage closes down at 11 p.m.

Stanat said that festival attendees are in their late 20s and early 30s, and as a non-profit they aim to leave the site better than they found it.

“Anyone who visits our festival finds it’s quite a positive experience,” he said.

“We’re not out to make money. This is all about building community, and building lasting friendships and memories.

“We actually leave the site cleaner than when we found it. We pride ourselves on that.”

He said that they will take steps to alleviate noise problems experienced last year, by closing down the beach stage at night, pointing speakers away from the lake, and using sound baffling techniques.

“We can’t guarantee there won’t be any complaints, but we definitely think we can limit the number of complaints. All those steps we can take will limit the issues,” said Stanat.

As well as noise, directors raised concerns with the festival organizers about parking for a large number of vehicles, first aid, searches for any banned items such as drugs, firearms and fireworks, and ways the festival can give back to the community.

Stanat and Lafleur registered each concern and said they would work to change their plans to alleviate the directors’ worries.

“With three months in advance, we can definitely keep communicating with everyone involved and make sure that we do mitigate all of the concerns that you have addressed,” said Stanat.

The board of directors will consider whether to approve the special event license at its next regular meeting on April 4.

Just Posted

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Over 5K jabbed at Interior Health mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics

The clinics have made stops in more than 40 communities since launching last week

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Interior Health COVID-19 cases falling slower than the rest of B.C.

More than a third of provincial cases announced Thursday came from the Interior

Students at Creston Valley Secondary School put together an art installation of a replica residential school room. (Photo by Kelsey Yates)
Creston students create art installation of residential school room

The replica was decorated with a small bed, school uniform, and notes written with pleas for help

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Second dose vaccinations accelerating throughout region: Interior Health

To date, more than 675,000 doses have been administered throughout the region

1914
It happened this week in 1914

June 13 - 19: Compiled by Dave Humphrey from the archived newspapers… Continue reading

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read