Elkford gets go ahead to continue with cull

Following an investigation and a one week suspension, the permit for Elkford's deer cull has been reinstated.

  • Jan. 21, 2014 8:00 a.m.

Nicole Obre/Fernie Free Press

Following an investigation and a one week suspension, the permit for Elkford’s deer cull has been reinstated. While a date has not yet been set, the District of Elkford is free to resume culling deer anytime up until March 10.

“[The District] has received a warning and will now be under a much more watchful eye around observing the permit conditions,” said John Krebs, regional manager, Recreational Fisheries and Wildlife Programs, Kootenay Boundary Region of Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. “We did reinstate the permit on Thursday afternoon (January 16) last week and Elkford is now remobilizing things to get their people and their equipment organized to reinitiate the operational part of the cull.”

The District of Elkford initially began the cull at the start of January to decrease the population of 78-148 mule deer currently living within town limits. A license was issued by the B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources and Operations, allowing the District to kill up to 50 mule deer with the use of a clover trap and bolt gun. The 14 page permit issued outlined several guidelines and regulations, including that deer only be harvested during the night.

“We suspended the permit on January 7 due to some complaints and concerns that we had with trapping outside of permit conditions, specifically trapping during daylight hours, which is not consistent with the permit,” explained Krebs. “We did an investigation with the Conservation Officer Service once we suspended the permit with the parties and followed up with that in Elkford.”

He went on to say, “We sat down with the District and the contractor and the Conservation Officers over the whole situation and what the complaints and concerns were. We’ve made it very clear that we expect that the operation meets the terms of the permit.”

With the permit reinstated, the District is cautiously moving forward with the deer cull.

“We are going to work on a game plan,” commented Curtis Helgesen, chief administrative officer, District of Elkford. “There has been a few things that have changed since we first started harvesting, so we’re working on having that game plan approved by the province and Interior Health, and then completing the cull by no later than March 10.”

Feedback from the community has been mixed and the District has been dealing with concerns from outside and environmental groups as well. This is despite the fact that 70 per cent of the 433 Elkford residents who completed a survey about the urban deer issue in 2010 wanted to see a moderate decrease in the herd by 30 to 40 per cent.

“There are some people hopefully that have contacted us that are strongly against it and there are some people who have come forward that want to provide those words of encouragement to council that they support the decision,”said Helgesen. “Locally in Elkford, there are some people that are really impacted by it and there are some people that are still for it, but we just have to keep moving forward.”

Krebs is hopeful that the District will be able to continue on with the cull without any further issues.

“We had to reexamine what their procedures were, but it was just about making sure we had confidence that the District and the contractor could follow the terms of the permit,” he said. “We’ve had that assurance and we’ll have some staff oversee things as well. So we’ll be watching, but I think they’ve got what they need to do the job properly. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road, they’re back on track, and we’ll get that work completed in the next few weeks.

The District reported that ten deer were harvested before the cull was initially suspended on January 6 and 7. All were mule deer, two males and the rest female, with a roughly 50/50 mix of adults and juveniles. The meat will be processed into ground meat and provided to local food banks.

Just Posted

Prince Charles Secondary School
School District 8 votes in favour of name change for Secondary School in Creston

In an act of reconciliation, a new name will be chosen for Prince Charles Secondary School

Kootenay-Columbia MP Rob Morrison. Photo courtesy Conservative Party of Canada.
MP Morrison appointed to parliamentary national security committee

Kootenay-Columbia parliamentarian one of five candidates appointed to national security committee

Repaving of Victoria Ave (3rd St. S. to 11th St. S.) began on Monday, June 12. Drivers are asked to please avoid the area for the remainder of the day, if possible. Please watch for and obey directions from flaggers and signage, as the detours will be moving regularly. Photo courtesy City of Cranbrook.
Road construction, repaving programs well underway

Local road construction and repaving work continue apace, as summer programs get… Continue reading

Vendors and customers at one of the Cranbrook markets in 2020. (Corey Bullock/Cranbrook Townsman file)
Cranbrook Farmers Market updates operating hours for the summer

Markets will continue to run from 10a.m. to 1p.m. until October 30th

City council passed first reading of a text amendment to a downtown zoning bylaw that would permit the land use for a craft brewery. Photo courtesy City of Cranbrook.
Downtown zoning amendment allowing craft brewery passes first reading

An application is moving forward that will tweak a downtown zoning bylaw… Continue reading

Maxwell Johnson is seen in Bella Bella, B.C., in an undated photo. The Indigenous man from British Columbia has filed complaints with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal and the Canadian Human Rights Commission after he and his granddaughter were handcuffed when they tried to open a bank account. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Heiltsuk Nation, Damien Gillis, *MANDATORY CREDIT*
VIDEO: Chiefs join human rights case of Indigenous man handcuffed by police in B.C. bank

Maxwell Johnson said he wants change, not just words, from Vancouver police

Tk’emlups te Secwepemc Chief Rosanne Casimir stands outside the former Kamloops Indian Residential School after speaking to reporters, in Kamloops, B.C., on Friday, June 4, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Kamloops chief says more unmarked graves will be found across Canada

Chief Rosanne Casimir told a virtual news conference the nation expects to release a report at the end of June

A woman wears a vaccinated sticker after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination clinic run by Vancouver Coastal Health, in Richmond, B.C., Saturday, April 10, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. ranks among highest in world in COVID-19 first-dose shots: health officials

More than 76% of eligible people have received their 1st shot

A screenshot of the First Peoples Cultural Councils First Peoples’ Map. (First Peoples Cultural Council)
Online resource blends B.C.-Alberta’s Indigenous languages, art and culture

Advisor says initiative supports the urgent need to preserve Indigenous languages

An artists conception of the new terminal building at the Pitt Meadows Regional Airport.
Air travel taking off in B.C., but lack of traffic controllers a sky-high concern

There will be demand for more air traffic controllers: Miller

Canadian Armed Forces experts are on their way to North Vancouver after a local homeowner expressed worry about a military artifact he recently purchased. (Twitter DNV Fire and Rescue)
Military called in to deal with antique ‘shell’ at North Vancouver home

‘The person somehow purchased a bombshell innocently believing it was an out-of-commission military artifact’

Amy Kobelt and Tony Cruz have set their wedding date for February, hoping that more COVID-19 restrictions will have lifted. (The Macleans)
B.C. couples ‘gambling’ on whether COVID rules will let them dance at their wedding

Amy Kobelt and Tony Cruz pushed back their wedding in hopes of being able to celebrate it without the constraints of COVID-19

A plane is silhouetted as it takes off from Vancouver International Airport in Richmond, B.C., May 13, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Report calls for airlines to refund passengers for flights halted due to COVID-19

Conclusion: federal help should be on the condition airlines immediately refund Canadian travellers

Most Read