Bullock, youth in Cranbrook court

Alleged carjacker facing new charges from Oct. 2 incident.

The pair charged in the alleged carjacking incident in early October were brought before Cranbrook Provincial Court on November 19.

Nicholas Bullock and an unnamed youth appeared separately Monday, Bullock via video from a correctional institute and the youth through counsel.

Judge Grant Sheard advised Bullock that his charges had been changed and nine new charges have been laid against him relating to the incident on October 2.

Bullock was previously charged with robbery, possession of stolen property over $5,000, assault with a weapon, possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose and uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm.

Those charges remain on the record, but Sheard read out nine new charges Bullock is now facing. They are three counts of robbery, possession of stolen property over $5,000, two counts of assault with a weapon, possessing weapon for dangerous purpose, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and flight from a peace officer.

In addition, Bullock now faces three counts of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm. Sheard told court that those charges stem from October 6, and October 5, just days after Bullock was taken into custody following a police-involved shooting in Cranbrook city limits. Those 11 charges were on the docket Monday for a first appearance.

Finally, Bullock is facing charges in Port Coquitlam from September 13 of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, possession of a prohibited weapon without a license, possession of a firearm contrary to order, and breach of a probation order. He is also charged in New Westminster with uttering threats dated December 2011. Those charges were again on the docket in Cranbrook Monday.

At his previous court date on November 5, Bullock told court he would like to have all his charges waived to Port Coquitlam. He again reiterated that request at his November 19 date. He was advised by Rick Strahl, who is acting as duty counsel for Bullock but has not been retained on the matter, that the Crown is unwilling to have the charges sent to the coastal city due to their nature. Lynal Doerksen, the Crown counsel assigned to the matter was not present in court.

Bullock told court he had not spoken to his counsel since his last court date on November 5. All of Bullock’s matters were put over to December 3 to allow him time to speak with counsel.

The 17-year-old youth charged in connection with the carjacking did not appear in court, but her counsel Greg Sawchuk asked on her behalf that a Crown application for a warrant be struck. The youth, who cannot be named under Canada’s Youth Criminal Justice Act, is charged with possession of stolen property.

Sawchuk said the youth would also like to have the charges waived to Port Coquitlam where she is in the custody of her mother.

Sawchuk said he had been advised by the Crown that more charges may be coming against the youth and asked that the matter be put over to December 3 for an arraignment hearing.

Just Posted

Meachen Creek fire sees minimal growth overnight

Winds have pushed the fire back into itself in the lower part of the Meachen Creek drainage.

‘Beauty amongst such tragedy:’ B.C. photographer captures nature’s trifecta

David Luggi’s photo from a beach in Fraser Lake shows Shovel Lake wildfire, Big Dipper and an aurora

Crews planning controlled burns for Meachen Creek fire

B.C. Wildfire Service hoping to conduct planned ignitions on Sunday to help containment lines

Meachen Creek fire changed little overnight

Mayor reaches out to thank community; evacuation alert notices are being delivered door to door so no one is missed

Kimberley resource, tourism industry braces as wildfires rip through forests

Tourists are still filling golf courses and shops in Kimberley, B.C., but… Continue reading

Regional news recap

A quick recap of the top news stories in Kimberley, Cranbrook, Creston and Fernie.

Registration open now for October disc golf tournament

Registration opened on Monday, August 13 for the 2018 B.C. Provincials —… Continue reading

Paving underway on Cobham Avenue

Paving is underway on the City’s largest capital infrastructure project of 2018,… Continue reading

Canadians fear for relatives trapped amid flooding in Indian state of Kerala

More than 800,000people have been displaced by floods and landslides

IndyCar driver Wickens flown to hospital after scary crash

IndyCar said Wickens was awake and alert as he was taken to a hospital

Ex-BCTF president ‘undeterred’ after early release from pipeline protest jail term

Susan Lambert and Order of Canada recipient Jean Swanson released early

Fast food chains look to capitalize on vegetarian, vegan trend with new items

Seven per cent of Canadians consider themselves vegetarians and 2.3 per cent identify as vegans

B.C. swimmer halts journey across Strait of Juan de Fuca after hypothermia sets in

Victoria MS athlete Susan Simmons swam for eight-and-a-half hours in 9 C choppy waters

‘Hard on water:’ Smoke not the only long-range effect of wildfires

The project began more than 10 years ago after southern Alberta’s 2003 Lost Creek fire

Most Read