The man charged over an October 2012 carjacking near Creston and subsequent flight from police in Cranbrook has pleaded not guilty.
Nickolas Bullock, 26, faces 11 eleven charges in Cranbrook, including assault with a weapon, possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, uttering threats, and robbery.
In Cranbrook criminal court on Monday, July 15, Bullock entered pleas of not guilty. It was unexpected; both the prosecutor and a lawyer representing Bullock’s defense thought he was going to accept a plea deal and plead guilty. However, Bullock told Judge Ron Webb he had changed his mind.
Bullock was arrested in Cranbrook on October 2, 2012, after a dramatic pursuit by a police officer ended in a residential driveway.
Earlier that night, a Creston man stopped to pick up two hitchhikers between Creston and Yahk. According to the driver, when the pair entered the car, the male hitchhiker allegedly assaulted the driver and stole the vehicle.
RCMP set up a road block south of Cranbrook and an officer spotted the stolen vehicle entering Cranbrook late that evening. The driver did not stop and the RCMP officer pursued the vehicle.
The chase ended in an encounter on the outskirts of Cranbrook, where RCMP said the officer discharged his weapon, injuring the suspect. Bullock was released from hospital within a week.
Bullock was allegedly on the run from Port Coquitlam with his 17-year-old girlfriend. The youth, who cannot be named because she is under 18, was returned to her mother’s care in Port Coquitlam pending court proceedings in juvenile court.
Bullock has waived his right to bail and remains in custody at North Fraser Correctional Centre. He asked the judge if his case could be moved to Port Coquitlam courts, which Crown counsel will consider.
Bullock will next appear via video in Cranbrook criminal court on August 12.