INVERMERE, B.C. — A team of young Edmonton-area skiers lost their clothing and equipment but escaped unharmed when the resort they were staying at was hit by fire.
The group from the Rabbit Hill Ski Club was staying at the main lodge of Panorama Mountain Village near Invermere when flames erupted early Wednesday morning.
Three local fire departments managed to contain the blaze to the top floor of the five-storey structure and no one was hurt.
Up to a dozen condo units were gutted and emergency officials say there was heavy water damage to the lower floors.
The ski team was preparing for the Under 16 CanAm Championships at Panorama this weekend.
The group headed back to Edmonton and despite several offers of replacement equipment, the team says it will not be taking part in the races.