- Kroeker, Davis to make home Ice debut
- Cale Fleury named Kootenay Ice captain
- City holding budget meetings
- As weather warms up, avalanche risk rises
- The Trudeau honeymoon is over
- Avs’ Koshman named PACWEST Athlete of the Week
- Bennett reflects on busy 2016
- New community choir in formation
- Where there's smoke — there's smoke smuggling
- Where there's snow — there are stolen snowblowers
- School board gives rural education feedback
- RCMP respond to 123 calls over the past week,
- Tom Cochrane's Mad Mad World tour hits Cranbrook in February, 2017
- Our Town
Colombo Lodge site of battle for bocce supremacy
Since time immemorial — or at least, certainly for more than 50 years — the Cristoforo Colombo Lodge has been the scene of a summer bocce championship, trailing players from Cranbrook, Nelson and Trail.
The Colombo Lodge in each of those cities takes turn hosting the day-long event each year, and on Sunday, July 13, 2014, the championships came to Cranbrook.
Sixteen two-player teams competed in the knock-out style tournament, culminating in an A event and B event. Lunch, refreshments and prize money were on offer on a scorching hot summer day.
The winners for the tournament were:
• First place team winners, A competition: Elio Pesce Sr. and Elio Pesce Jr. of Cranbrook (see Page 1)
• Second place team winners, A competition: Joe Saccino and Don Saccino of Cranbrook (see Page 1)
• Third place team winners, A competition: Harvey Venier and Fred Tironese of Cranbrook
• First place team winners, B competition: Morris Paron and Alfonso Bertoia of Cranbrook
• Second place team winners, B competition: Guiseppe Bertuzzi and Hans Barth of Nelson
• Third place team winners, B competition: Vito Tumillo and Lorne Nicolson of Nelson.