- Ktunaxa make Qat’muk case before Supreme Court of Canada
- Cranbrook RCMP called to 18 collisions since December 3
- Ice take Pats to OT, lose 5-4 at home
- Defence asserts reasonable doubt in Bountiful trial
- No sledding at Idlewild yet, City requests
- Elk Valley man reported missing
- A Festive Feast of Christmas Music
- First witness on stand for Bountiful trial
- Our Town
Coroner confirms identity of deceased male found near Nelson
KELOWNA - The BC Coroners Service has confirmed the identity of a male who was found deceased on a rock ledge overlooking Kootenay Lake near Nelson on July 23, 2014.
He is Dana Nicholas Mitchell, of Cranbrook. Mr. Mitchell went missing in the autumn of 2010 and is believed to have died at approximately that time. He would have been 22 years old at the time of his death.
In July a tourist found human remains, now confirmed to be those of Mr. Mitchell, on the rock ledge off the Rails to Trails trail near the Svoboda Road entrance in northeast Nelson.
The BC Coroners Service continues to investigate this death. Foul play has now been ruled out.
The family of Mr. Mitchell has been notified of his death. On behalf of the family, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.