- Cranbrook man convicted of 1994 triple slaying hopes new DNA tests clear him
- New agency to fund wildlife conservation
- Kootenay Ice to select second overall at 2017 WHL Bantam Draft
- ‘I’ll bring it back when I’m done’
- Sewer system strained with ground water
- Tom Cochrane's Mad Mad World tour hits Cranbrook in February, 2017
- Our Town
Teck reports fatality at Coal Mountain
A 59-year-old Teck employee died in what Teck is calling a serious incident at Coal Mountain early on Sunday, March 16.
The resource company reported the fatality occurred at about 2 a.m. on Sunday. No other employees were injured.
"We wish to extend our sincere condolences to the employee's family, friends and colleagues," said Nic Milligan, manager of community and aboriginal affairs.
Appropriate authorities, including the Ministry of Energy and Mines, have been notified and an investigation is now underway into the incident.
Kootenay East MLA and Energy and Mines Minister Bill Bennett released a statement later on Sunday.
"I wish to offer my sincere condolences to the employee's family, the workers at Coal Mountain Operations and the community," said Bennett.
The name of the deceased has not been released.
Coal Mountain is located 30 kilometres southeast of Sparwood in southeastern British Columbia.