- Kroeker, Davis to make home Ice debut
- Cale Fleury named Kootenay Ice captain
- City holding budget meetings
- As weather warms up, avalanche risk rises
- The Trudeau honeymoon is over
- Avs’ Koshman named PACWEST Athlete of the Week
- Bennett reflects on busy 2016
- New community choir in formation
- Where there's smoke — there's smoke smuggling
- Where there's snow — there are stolen snowblowers
- School board gives rural education feedback
- RCMP respond to 123 calls over the past week,
- First witness on stand for Bountiful trial
- KIJHL: Dynamiters ground Rockets for 11th consecutive win
- Conservatives lost their vision
- Randall Hopley to appeal seven-year sentence
- Players Bench Jets collect silver at home
- Our Town
Canadian Olympic hockey team named
TORONTO — Team Canada has announced its 25-man roster for the Sochi Olympics, and it's built around key contributors from the team that won gold four years ago in Vancouver.
Sidney Crosby, who scored the game-winning goal over the United States in overtime, is back and likely will be named captain.
Roberto Luongo, who was in net for the completion of the 2010 tournament, could get another chance next month as he's back on the roster following some tumultuous times.
Jonathan Toews, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Patrice Bergeron are also among the Vancouver medallists named to the team.
John Tavares and Carey Price lead the group of newcomers, which also includes the injured Steven Stamkos, who is already skating and would like to return from a broken leg before the start of the Olympics.
Canada beat the United States in overtime to win the gold medal in 2010 when Crosby beat Ryan Miller.
It was Canada's second gold medal since the NHL began sending its players at the 1998 Nagano Games.
Canada opens the Sochi Games Feb. 13 against Norway.
The full roster:
Goalies: Roberto Luongo; Carey Price; Mike Smith
Defencemen: Jay Bouwmeester; Drew Doughty; Dan Hamhuis; Duncan Keith; Alex Pietrangelo; P.K. Subban; Marc-Edouard Vlasic; Shea Weber
Forwards: Jamie Benn; Patrice Bergeron; Jeff Carter; Sidney Crosby; Matt Duchene; Ryan Getzlaf; Chris Kunitz; Patrick Marleau; Rick Nash; Corey Perry; Patrick Sharp; Steven Stamkos; John Tavares; Jonathan Toews