- Wilkins signs first pro contract with ECHL’s Reading Royals
- Local riders hit the podium
- 'Donate a Brick' campaign kicks off
- Road work underway in Cranbrook
- New car show to debut in Kimberley
- Charges laid in fatal collision
- KIJHL: Dynamiters ground Rockets for 11th consecutive win
- Conservatives lost their vision
- Randall Hopley to appeal seven-year sentence
- Players Bench Jets collect silver at home
- Our Town
Severe thunderstorm warning issued for East Kootenay
An alert from Environment Canada issued Tuesday morning, July 2, says the region could be hit by a severe thunderstorm Tuesday afternoon and evening.
"This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail and damaging winds," reads the statement.
"Monitor weather conditions. Listen for updated statements. If threatening weather approaches take immediate safety precautions.
"The strong upper ridge of high pressure over the southern portions of the province will weaken and move eastward today. Consequently, the airmass is becoming increasingly unstable.
"Meanwhile, a weak upper disturbance moving across central B.C. may trigger thunderstorm development this afternoon.
"If storms do develop then they will quickly become severe. Large hail, wind gusts up to 90 kilometres an hour and intense lightning will be the main threats."